Friday, December 13, 2013

K Pop, Dramas, and Japanese Food!

It was around my sophomore year of high school that I began to take an interest in Japanese culture and food. I would spend many hours using perfectly good study time to research the traditions of said culture. At night, I would dream that I was surrounded by cherry blossoms and walk through busy streets, markets, and playgrounds. It was much like my life but in a different country.

Still to this day I dream of doing all those things and more but this time, it is a bit different. I will do them with time and knowledge and not some teenage angst of running away to somewhere unknown. My love for knowledge of other cultures, is what keeps me strong today. I still sit for hours looking for information: airfare, hotel, transportation, food, stores, traditions, pop culture, and more; I feed off of it.

There is something about the world that took me a long time to learn: appreciation. I never have appreciated the town I lived in and the people I knew or the country I grew up in mostly. I never though about how special it was, to be where I am. I am happy to say that I am lucky and grateful for my life.

I look at the people of my past a realize that I am far better off without them and far better off in general. Not to say that they are in a bad place but their mentality is off. I keep hearing them say "boozing" and "hungover", "Pregnant with no baby daddy/mama", "Dropping out of school", etc. I see that my cultural differences have prevented that from setting into my mind.

No, I do not believe that the only reason for my life being amazing the way it is, is because of being Mexican. That is an ignorant thought. The life of being a Christian Mexican (against social norms in my culture) is what set me apart. My parents both happily married to each other, sets me apart. Siblings that support me in my craziest moments, sets me apart. I could continue with what it is that makes me happiest and more free but it all falls on something  more: Me.

If I was like many of the people I knew, I would have ran off two years ago and be homeless and broken. I would have thrown away the love and help that my family has given me all these years (20). How foolish, my childhood seems. I was always looking through the broken window- never seeing a clear picture of how beautiful of a life I was given.

Going back a step or two, I was talking about Japan and it's home-y feeling. I fell in love with it and will be going when the time is right. To teach and learn.

I was spending some time on YouTube, yes, watching those "Cooking with Dog" videos when an ad popped up about Asian Music Awards or something like that. I clicked on the add and fell in love with the crazy amazing world of Kpop music. (For those who do no know, Kpop= Korean Pop Music).

I was instantly hooked on a group named Super Junior. Their music was fun and some were even inspiring. It made me fall more in love with East Asia and all it had to offer. Soon, I was looking at Shinee and CNBlue. So as a refresher- I am a Mexican female, in love with Koreans most appealing male singer/dancers and music, Japanese food (and music), and Chinese art/architecture (and fashion).

The appeal that was given off from all of these different culture's arts has even brought my sister and I together. She like Korean Dramas (as do I) and is a large fan of Kpop group f(x). Their music is wonderful and the girls are all so pretty and not "made to change people" in a negative way. They give hope for anyone who would like to become famous and to those who do not think highly of themselves, do you know what I mean? Fun and entertaining to watch and listen to.

My sister and I bond over videos of f(x) and Super Junior. We have had a lot of fun watching Korean Dramas together (for example: The Heirs- that just ended yesterday). I am very thankful for them. I have my little sister again.

I know what a lot of you are saying/thinking: How can you just openly use those words or phrases? You still know nothing about those places until you go there and see for yourself! It is just a phase!....and so on right? I know that this is not even the tip of the ice berg but at least I am open to them. My craving for adventure, knowledge, and friendship from around the world, makes me an open-minded person. I do not get offended when people come up to me and ask: Do you wear Sombrero's in you house? Do you like tacos? Have you ever eaten cactus? Is your house made of adobe? Do you go to Mexico? Do all Mexicans talk like that {Like Mexican Soap opera actors}? Do you like spicy food? Are you legal? Do you have a green card?.....ETC>!

Not offended at all. Simple because those who are ignorant will not ask these questions but assume answers and create judgmental situations for me to live in their minds. Those who want to know enough, to either clear stereotypical theories or poke fun, will ask and I am glad to answer. Yes, all of those questions have been asked to me and no, I did not get mad. I like it when people ask. It makes this world seem a lot smaller and more close-knit. The way this large Melting Pot should feel.

Random enough? :3


--------------------Videos Ahead!---------------------------

I decided to spread more love and include videos from YouTube, if you would like to hear some songs that my sister and I like. Also a link to the English Subtitled Korean Drama: The Heirs. Which has one of the girls from the group f(x) in it :) I HIGHLY recommend watching it [I cried and laughed a lot!]


Two of my Favorites: Bonamana and Break Down- Super Junior



Two of my sister's favorites: Nu ABO and Electric Shock- f(x)


*I do not own any of these videos...I just like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

--------- ---------