Saturday, April 25, 2015

Not Really Trying. A few words and Tips for Studying

There are plenty of times throughout the week that I catch myself saying "I'm trying..." but deep down, I'm not.

Lately, with classes and career paths, church activities and teachings, etc. I have caught myself saying that I was trying and that the results were due to inexperience or that i was "not doing what was meant to be done, blah blah blah!" But I feel that it is the lack of willingness that is stirring the negative pools in my mind.

So what can I do about it?

I don't know.....how about TRY!!!!

It is, simply, easier typed than done. Mainly because I am so used to doing things the way that I have been doing them. You know, like it is spoken of in my Developmental Psychology class...you practice what you did when you were younger. I remember thoughout high school, everything came eays to me. Due to that fact, I could stroll into class and take a test without having to really study. I did my homework, took my quizzes, completed my test, and still had time to get a laugh out of others by scaring my math teacher everyday (It's ok, it was our thing). This was so much true that teachers would let me miss class to help the elementary school teachers with their classes (watch the kids during a meeting, take them outside to play, help with homework and so on).

So, now that I am already in my program, I am just finding out (one test away from a final....I should probably study instead of writing) that I will have to read my text book, notes, and past assignments to really pass.
It's tough.

My advisor was saying that there is a small chance I would be able to get into grad school and it scared me a bit. I am not going to take her word for it just because I know that  I can make it but still, its a bit scary at first.

So, how does one study properly? Here are a few tips that I will apply from now until the end of grad school and so on....

  1. Print the class syllabus. Simple as that. I can say that most professors will include in the syllabus the chapters that will be covered in the upcoming classes, if not, just ask. Otherwise: 
  2. Read, read,read. Check out the chapters that will be covered in the following class, along with any notes that may be posted online. The professor may not use all of the notes but better safe than sorry.
  3. With that, Print off the notes. It makes it so much easier to follow along in class after reading them ahead of time and when they are right there in front of you.
  4. Get off that computer!!! I know, throughout my days at the technical school I went to (Got my Associates :D) I took all of my notes on the computer and used my notebooks for daily assignments or the occasional doodle of a Yeti but I found out in my university that notebooks, note-cards, and printed notes keep me focused on the lecture and not on the best deals ebay has to offer.
  5. Use a blue pen for notes...Don't ask me why, I just read that it helps???? Maybe I should check that one out...I use purple pens and a mechanical pencil. The pen is for underlining what I find to be more important in my notes. The pencil is for adding information that I did not have in my notes that the professor mentions.
  6. IF you do choose to use a computer at all in the semester, I suggest you use it to transfer notes into something legible (I can never understand how people can write so quickly with beautiful handwriting...my notes look like they were written in Klingon). What I do with my psychology and Astronomy notes, is I go through the power point beforehand, type out what I think is most important or underlined. Then in class I follow along and underling what is most important or what I don't understand so that I can refer to the text for help.
  7. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I haven't yet but I think I will next semester. I have already talked to someone about contact throughout the summer to keep up-to-date on tutor information and study sessions. So check that out for sure!!!
  8. Save everything! Old quizzes are perfect for finals prep. and if they aren't need, make great scratch paper.
  9. No television during study time, no one can multitask. Not even you! Put all focus on study material and if you need some noise in the background like I do, put on that instrumental Beethoven and other great classical music. It helps me...just keep it a bit low. (Joe Hisaishi is my favorite to listen to during a study session).
  10. Take breaks often and keep water close. Your brain needs time to absorb the information so take breaks often but keep them short.
These are a few tips that I found helpful once I did start to try. Well, Almost....kind of....sorta...
With only about 3 weeks of classes left, I am unsure how I will be able to do better in such a short amount of  time. but only time and effort will tell.

It feels pretty gross to not try and see how quickly you can fall behind. It makes me think of high school and how slow paced it really was. I never knew that I had difficulty taking tests, which is the real reason my grades have hit a low.

I used to be so scared of getting B's in high school but in college B's would be a piece of heaven to get. There is a specific class that I am having trouble with; but it is not the actual work that is tearing me down (not to brag but I have been owning everyone in the in class discussions in Normal Language Structure) it's the tests that are putting me in a low spot. There is no homework but if you can't apply the material properly or space them out accordingly, you're done. No fun for me.

Although, from the previous tips I have given, I have been able to do better on the past few tests so hopefully, I can get there...TIME!!!! is of the essence!

Anyway
For those who think they could just slither by without working on anything: Don't Do It! Work for it and it will come easier and it will come and stay with you for the rest of your education and, possibly, time.

Good Luck to everyone!
And Good Luck, Me.

:D Over and Oouttt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

--------- ---------